Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New York Auto Show: Ferrari



Ferrari: It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle.

I couldn't help but imagine this slogan as I examined the Italian marque's set - and seemed every bit a theatrical stage, replete with faux fireplace and living room in the back.

Still, it was chic. As were the cars.

On center display was, of course, the latest 612 Scaglietti As I've remarked in the past, head on this car looks psychotic and it likely has performance to match that claim.



Also on display were a F430 Spyder and a F430 Challenge Series racer. All in all nothing new, but it still captivated a large audience and was effective at diverting enough attention away from Porsche's Carrera GT that was rotating next door.


Back to the 612. I didn't get goose bumps. Perhaps it was the muted color - blue on grey - but still the car was just not electric. The gorgeous F355 was electric. The iconic Testarossa was electric.

I did like the two-door's yellow brake pads, though. Yellow seems to be the new color for performance car brake pads as Ferrari wasn't the only manufacturer to use them (Porsche).


Overall, the Scaglietti was handsome -Ferraris are supposed to be beautiful. On the basis of looks alone, I'd cut a cheque for Aston Martin's DB9 or V8 Vantage - both of which were at the Show and were stunning to behold. What sublime cars.

Ferrari is lucky to have so loyal a clientele. Were I shopping for an exotic, theirs would not be the first stable I'd visit.

No comments: