Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New York Auto Show: Audi

Audi's display was crammed into the southwest corner of the main level. Along with neighbor Jaguar, the showcase suffered from relatively poor traffic.

And as if that were not bad enough, the poor feng shui of their locale was such that the afternoon's rainshowers leaked through onto the Audis and show goers below.

And to add to that...

Their newest model, the latest TT which was to officially debut at the New York Auto Show, was hidden in the furthest corner on a rotating platform - blocked from immediate view by their other offerings.


Comme c'est bizarre.

I can report that the new TT was only slightly more engaging to witness in person than on computer screen. It has aggressive lines - far more so than the predecessor - which seem to try and make the statement that the TT is now in sportscar territory and no longer just a poser/dashing boulevardier.

I prefer the original.

As for the others. Having now sat in both the new A6 and the new A8, I can say decisively that the A8 has my vote. This would not have been the case in the predecessor model range of the late 90s/early 00s. That A6 won my approval.

Admittedly, in my haste to take down notes from the driver's seat, I marked the A8's headliner with my pen. Mia culpa. Some Scotch Guard should take that right out.

All in all, Audis display was there, but no show stopper.

No comments: