Saturday, January 26, 2008

a DAIMLER - BENZ product



Every Mercedes-Benz imported to North America had on the lower right-hand corner of the windshield the sticker: “a DAIMLER-BENZ product,” with Gottlieb Daimler’s signature.

On a Benz, I consider this little detail to be the cherry on top of the sundae.

After the Daimler-Benz acquisition of the Chrysler Corporation in the late 1990s, the sticker changed to state “a MERCEDES-BENZ product.”

The time came for me to find another one of the original stickers. This, surprisingly, was a real chore.

My first call was to Mercedes-Benz of North America. Before I could go anywhere in the conversation they demanded to know the car’s VIN and the mileage.

I just want a sticker, lady.

I was transferred to some senior manager out in New Jersey who knew what I was talking about. However, he could only offer me the new sticker.

No thank you, said I.

I contacted the Washington, D.C. Chapter of the Mercedes-Benz Club of North America. The polite gentleman who headed the chapter suggested I contact the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center – the one based in California.

Of course! Why didn’t I think of that? And, for that matter, Mercedes-Benz of North America?

So, I telephoned the Golden State.

It took the Classic Center technician two minutes to figure out what I wanted and the part number for it, and oh, by the way, it’s available at your local Mercedes-Benz dealer for a suggested retail price of $3.50.

Thank you sir.

I summarize with three notes:

  • That Mercedes-Benz of North America was kind enough to send me a new “a MERCEDES-BENZ product” decal gratis.
  • I wrote a letter to Stuttgart complaining about the change of decals and the trials I had to go through to get something so simple.
  • The newest windshield sticker has neither “a DAIMLER-BENZ product” or “a MERCEDES-BENZ product” but merely Herr Daimler’s signature.


For more information on the Classic Center in Irvine, California, click: MBUSA/Classic Center

No comments: